The Gentlemen's Ale Sampling Society
1982-2017 35 YEARS OF BEERS
ROYAL NAVAL ASSOCIATION WHISTLE SIGNALS
GASS learn to communicate by whistling to each other - often useful in survival situations, like Benidorm for instance, JB could have whistled 'HELP!!'
LORDSWOOD TEN PIN BOWLING CENTRE
Newton Close, Lordswood, Chatham, Kent ME5 8TR
ORGANISER - JOHN BRICE
THIS BEING THE JANUARY MEETING IMPORTANT THINGS WERE DECIDED - DO PLEASE READ THE MINUTES BELOW
Many thanks to The Medway Towns Sea Cadets
under the C.O Sub Lieutentant Buck Buckingham R.N
A single tone whistle held in one hand with tone changes achieved by bending fingers over the one air hole.
The cadets gave a demonstration, then we
had 15 minutes of one to one training, then the best four were chosen for a
We then went on to enjoy an evenings ten pin bowling and a hearty curry and chilli. Well done to the girls at the centre!
MINUTES OF THE MEETING
First of all thanks to everyone for being patient. The January meeting is
normally the one where we flesh out the programme for the year
It is always nice to get at least vague approval for the multifarious plans, meetings, travels, budgets etc.
UNLESS I MISUNDERSTOOD THE VARIOUS HECKLES AND INSULTS WE BROADLY AGREED THE FOLLOWING:-
1. We will have 13 meetings this year - to include Tuesday 6th September - WOODLAND WILD MUSHROOM FORAGING.
2. We will have the GASS MAGIC CIRCLE MEETING in March.
3. We will be FIRE BREATHING in February.
4. In the summer we will be mimicking the Royal Tournament and performing the NAVAL GUN CARRIAGE RACE.
5. I will be hunting around for a real live Sumo Wrestler for a GASS SUMO WRESTLING COMPETITION.
6. NEW MEMBERS - There is a moratorium* on new members at present. *(noun - temporary prohibition of an activity)
Translation, we have stopped taking new members for a time. We technically have two spaces left, but some members queried this saying they felt we were full at 23.
There is no current overwhelming need to bring in new blood - with such good attendances at meetings the numbers are always plenty high enough anyway.
This absolutely does not stop guests coming along and they are always welcome. It also does not stop someone making it plain they would like to join at some time in the future.
7. AGM DESTINATION - There is a straight choice and two highly competent organisers, Keith and Tony, and two locations.
The locations could not be more different - Vilnius in LITHUANIA and Aya Napa in CYPRUS.
AYA NAPA - CYPRUS - Keith is researching decent hotels in the nice end of Aya Napa and will come back with his plan.
VILNIUS - LITHUANIA - Tony is using our old mates Vamos Travel for an agent organised event.
As soon as I have both plans I will send them out as an email. We can then discuss them at the February meeting.
The most obvious differences are:-
AYA NAPA - Beach resort, warm weather, suitable for a 4 and a 7 day stay. Long flight.
VILNIUS - Capital City, mild weather, probably 4 day stay only. Short flight.
My guess is this might be a close vote. To keep things honest we need to remember three things.
1. Only members who are actually going on the AGM can vote.
2. Votes will be one vote per member, with the voting list written out and fair and open for all to see.
3. Once the vote is finalised then everyone gets behind the majority decision and goes with the flow in an enthusiastic GASS like manner.
As a suggestion - the losing venue becomes the venue for the AGM in 2017.
I think that was about it.
APART FROM THE ROFFEN CLUB 30TH BIRTHDAY OF COURSE!!
SATURDAY 6TH FEBRUARY - ALL GASS ARE INVITED - NO CHARGE - GUESTS WELCOME.
LIVE BAND (THE CHOOS), BUFFET, DISCO, SURPRISES.
Be there - or be square!!!!!