The Gentlemen's Ale Sampling Society
1982-2017 35 YEARS OF BEERS
The Golden Eagle at Burham
Ze members azzembled as ordered by Herr Obergrupenfeuher Henslow at exactly 8.00pm.
Zey sat down at exactly 8.30pm and zey ver fed some verrrie unusual dishes, no a sign of any decent saurkraut.
Zey ver allowed to talk amongst themselves for 30 minutes.
THEN OBERGURPENFEUHER HENSLOW SPOKE
His actual address took some six hours and so has not been reproduced verbatim.
During the speech three members ver shot for whispering, two were went to prison for life for rolling zer eyes,
Nick Jenkins got off with a warning because nobody could hear what he was saying.
MAIN POINTS FROM THE SPEECH.
1. OBERGRUPENFEUHER HENSLOW would like to remind all GASS members that organising this bunch of wankers is not a hobby of his. He does not actually enjoy it and it takes up a lot of time, a commodity of which he is often short.
2. Because of point 1 it would be appreciated that when members want to make useful suggestions about meetings that OBERGRUPENFEUHER HENSLOW has already sorted out then they must expect to be shot (as in down in flames).
3. The system works like this:-
BEFORE THE AGM WE ASK FOR GOOD IDEAS FOR MEETINGS
THOSE IDEAS ARE COBBLED INTO A DRAFT FOR THE YEAR.
THE DRAFT IS CONFIRMED AT THE JANUARY MEETING
MEMBERS SPONSOR MEETINGS - MEANING THEY TAKE TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT EVENT
4. Once a member has agreed to sponsor a meeting they have a free hand as to how they organise it without any interference. They get a budget (which they can exceed by surcharging if they wish). Excellent examples are Steve Riches (Rugby), Steve Bell (Thames race and the AGM), Hew (Beercrate piling) and many more - just bag the date and organise the do - tell us where, when and what to wear. Job done.
4. There is a moral obligation on members to take part in organising events - so if you have not done one you should try to.
5. Zer vill be NO whinging. Zer vil be NO lateness. Zer vil be LOTS of bad behaviour.
6. If anyvon makes any furzer comments about ver godammened vebzite they came do it der ferkrapenzing selves!!
OBERGRUPENFEUHER HENSLOW then went on to outline details of the 2007 AGM
THE AGM 2007 - PALMA MAJORCA
sponsor: Vice Admiral Dinger-Bell V.D and bar
Friday 8th - Saturday 15th September
Choose how long you stay - book your own flights
We take over the boats at 6.00pm on Saturday 8th Sept at MARINA ALBORAN
Sat: Night on the town
Sun: Day sail, maybe to Porto Portales,
AGM on Sunday evening
Mon: recover, Lunch, some sailing
Fri: Sail back to marina
Sat: Hand back boats
Boat Damage: Each boat will have paid a deposit of around £1200. This is lost in the event of major damage.
The same was true in Croatia. The only sensible way to deal with it is to state that if the deposit is lost then the crew on the boat at that instant are jointly liable, not GASS. If they did something silly or stupid it is down to the guys there at the time to be responsible and they are obviously welcome to apportion blame between themselves. No other way to deal with this sticky issue. The good news is that this almost never happens.
Hotel rooms: There are probably more people over the main weekend than berths.
Ian & Keith have already put their names down to sleep ashore. We may need 1 more to volunteer.
The 3 volunteers will get some refund for the berths, around £30 pp per night. Others who sleep ashore do so at their own expense.
Final Costs: The final cost per person will depend on mooring fees (which are more of an issue here than in Croatia).
Once we know the total bill it will be divided up related to a portion for the fact that we are hiring the boats, plus the running costs, plus the food and drink on board, plus the AGM dinner, plus some goodies, then based on nights on board for each person. We will make it as fair as possible without being girlie about it.
Arrival/Departure days: Some people will fly out on the Friday, some may fly back on the Sunday,
so chat to mates and work out sensible groups.
We hand t