The Gentlemen's Ale Sampling Society
1982-2017 35 YEARS OF BEERS
THE ARCELORMITTAL ORBIT SLIDE!!!
Named as Time Out Londonís number 1 thing to do this year, you do not want to miss this!
AND GASS WON'T MISS IT!
WE HAVE 20 TICKETS FOR 17.00 (latest ride) ON TUESDAY 2nd AUGUST
RIDE DOWN ON THE HIGH SPEED TRAIN - RIDE DOWN THE SLIDE - DINNER AT WESTFIELD
WE MUST BE AT THE TOP OF THE SLIDE AT 5.00PM - SO WE NEED TO BE AT THE BASE AT 4.45 LATEST!!!
OR AT LEAST THAT WAS THE PLAN!!!!
What actually happened was that on our way there the powers
that be decied that due to the humidity they were going to CLOSE.
We had a few pints - wnet up to admire the view - then WALKED down, yes we bloody walked down!!!!
At least dinner at The Cow was a success!
And at least one member went down a slide - even if it was the following day, at Dreamland.....
MINUTES OF THE MEETING
We had a very pleasant (if expensive) dinner but it was marred by some bad news.
Don Pilcher, a loyal member for many, many years handed in his resignation. He is moving north to somewhere remote and northern.
Don joined GASS in 1985 and, had he not kept
resigning, he would have been the 6th equal longest serving member,
Sadly Don has a resigning habit. He resigned in 1985, 1994, 1999 and 2003. So goodbye again loyal and valued member - and see you again soon we guess!!!
THE KING IS DEAD - LONG LIVE THE KING!
No sooner had the phrase "I resign again, for the fifth time" escaped Don's lips, and the rousing cheers faded away, then the 'young pretender' danced on his grave!!
Dan Smith, the fruit of Andy's loins, leapt up and claimed Don's place as his very own.
Andy has proposed Dan for membership, seconded by Nick Jenkins.
There was a brief bout of lobbying and rule querying - so for the record these are the rules as they stand.
1. We have an absolute upper limit of 25 (agreed a few months back).
2. We had a temporary hold on membership at 23 (agreed at the same time as 1 above), but that was prior to losing Steve R and Don.
3. The plan was to discuss the criteria for GASS membership for the future at the AGM - do we want to set new rules about all new members being business owners or similar?
4. If someone new expresses an interest in joining they should attend 2-3 meetings and meet the guys.
5. They are then proposed and seconded at a meeting.
6. They do not attend the next meeting and their application is discussed in their absence.
7. If anyone objects it has to be in the open and they have to give a brief reason, but one clear objection is sufficient to prevent the applicant joining.
The plan is that at the AGM we will discuss both the criteria for suitable new members and Dan's application.
CAN WE PLEASE GO BACK!!
Another item for discussion is GASS policy of always trying to something new at each meeting and at each AGM.
As the years go by the fact that we did something once in the year 2000 is increasingly irrelevant to quite a few of our members - they weren't there!
Because of this rule we are missing out on good meetings and good AGM venues.
We might like to feel we can break that rule more often in future.
See you all at the AGM!!